The High Street in Glasgow is the city’s oldest and one of its most historically significant streets. Originally the city’s main street in medieval times, it formed a direct north-south artery between the Cathedral of St. Mungo (later Glasgow Cathedral), to the banks of the River Clyde.
From 1460 to 1870, the original buildings of the University of Glasgow were located at the junction of High Street and Duke Street, before moving to the West End.
As the 20th century progressed, many areas of High Street fell into dereliction. However in the early 21st Century, the fortunes of High Street have enjoyed a renaissance with Glasgow’s growing economy.